Henry Dimbleby - co-founder of restaurant chain Leon and of the Sustainable Restaurant Association - has been appointed by Environment Secretary Michael Gove to lead the first major review of the UK food system in nearly 75 years.
He will investigate the entire food system, from field to fork, and consider what changes are needed to ensure that it:
- Delivers safe, healthy, affordable food, regardless of where people live or how much they earn;
- Is robust in the face of future shocks;
- Restores and enhances the natural environment for the next generation;
- Is built upon a resilient and sustainable agriculture sector;
- Is a thriving contributor to our urban and rural economies, delivering well paid jobs and supporting innovative producers and manufacturers;
- Does all of this in an efficient and cost-effective way.
- His recommendations will result in a trailblazing new National Food Strategy, set to be published in 2020.
...follow the link to read the article in full on the Gov.UK website...