The RSPCA is the largest animal welfare charity in England and Wales. Our purpose as the RSPCA is to end cruelty and promote kindness to animals and to alleviate their suffering.
We are seeking to recruit a Farm Livestock Officer, committed to animal welfare to join the RSPCA Farm Animals Department. The post holder's role will be to monitor members of the RSPCA Assured scheme within Scotland with a focus on Aquaculture but may include other livestock sectors. The post holder will also assist with the continued development, implementation and enforcement of the RSPCA's welfare standards for farm animals used within the RSPCA Assured scheme and beyond, as well as general advisory, advocacy and communication regarding farm animal welfare issues.
- Providing effective and efficient monitoring of RSPCA Assured members, within a defined geographical area.
- Providing appropriate guidance to help new or existing members achieve and maintain compliance with the RSPCA welfare standards.
- Liaising externally and internally to promote higher welfare farming systems, including through involvement in trials/projects to further advance these systems and disseminating relevant information.
Skills and experience include
- BSc in a relevant subject eg aquaculture/agriculture/animal welfare, or HND plus equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Thorough knowledge and practical experience of aquaculture systems, with preferably some knowledge of agriculture.
- Experience of farm visiting, and ideally experience either with farm assurance schemes or in the provision of technical advice to fish/livestock farmers; experience and training in auditing of standards on-farm would be a distinct advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to produce clear detailed visit reports
What's in it for you
You'll have an opportunity to work for the largest animal welfare charity in England and Wales.
We value and recognise our employees' contribution and are proud to offer an extensive benefits package that includes:
35 hours standard working week, 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays increasing to 30 days with service; a generous pension scheme with associated life assurance and group income protection scheme; access to private healthcare scheme; support for professional development after qualifying period and access to our employee assistance programme.
An application form and job description can be downloaded from the RSPCA web page.
We do not accept CVs without a fully completed application form.
Please send your completed application form to email@example.com or by post to Resourcing Team, RSPCA, Wilberforce Way, Southwater, Horsham, RH13 9RS quoting reference FLO/203 by the closing date of Monday 18th November 2019.
Interviews to take place in Glasgow, Scotland.
All online information and documents are available in alternative formats, including Braille and large font, upon request from the Resourcing team.
Equality, diversity, and inclusion are at the heart of our organisation. We seek to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all.
Ending cruelty, promoting kindness and alleviating suffering to animals.